Brigadier General Nikolaos Vogiatzis
Brigadier General Nikolaos Vogiatzis is the Commander of HNMS and the Permanent Representative of Greece at the World Meteorological Organization (WMO).
He is responsible for the operational functionality of the Central Service, of all Regional Meteorological Offices and exercises control over the quality of the meteorological services provided. He is responsible for developing, studying and formulating proposals for improving the meteorological support provided by the Armed Forces.
Furthermore, he is responsible for the exclusive representation of our country in the context of the obligations arising from the contracts of World Meteorological Organization (WMO), European Centre for Medium-Range Weather Forecasts (ECMWF), European Organisation for the Exploitation of Meteorological Satellites (EUMETSAT) and other international organizations.
He assumed his duties on 10 March 2017.
He was born in Thesalloniki. He joined the Hellenic Air Force Academy on 13-9-1982 and graduated on 23-5-1986 as a 2nd Lieutenant.
He graduated from:
- School of Meteorological Radar
- Instructors School (ISD)
- Air War College / Junior Officers
- Supreme Joint War College (ADISPO)
He has a Master’s Degree from Aristotle University of Thessaloniki:
- School of Physics, Environmental Physics.
He speaks English.
- March 2017: Commander of HNMS.
- June 2013-March 2017: Director of Regional Meteorological Center of Macedonia.
- October 2012-June 2013: Head of Department of Regional Meteorological Center of Macedonia.
- July 2008-September 2012: Ηead of Department of Hellenic Tactical Air Force (HTAF).
- August 2002-September 2007: Head of Forecast Alert of Regional Meteorological Center of Macedonia .
- September 1999- August 2002: Staff Officer Meteorological Forecaster of HTAF.
- July 1994-August 1999: Staff Officer Meteorologist Forecaster at the Department of Forecast Alert of Regional Meteorological Center of Macedonia.
- September 1986-July 1994: Staff Officer Meteorologist Forecaster of HTAF.
He has served in HAF Units-HNMS Meteorological Centers as a Meteorological Forecaster, Staff Officer, Head of Department and Director.
He has participated in scientific working groups of national and international research participation programs of HNMS (Ozone SAF, ΠΡΟΤΕΠΕ) and he has published research papers on weather, atmospheric environment and climate in scientific conferences.
- Second Lieutenant: 23-5-1986
- First Lieutenant: 8-6-1989
- Captain: 23-11-1995
- Major: 16-6-2000
- Lieutenant Colonel: 2-6-2006
- Colonel: : 10-8-2012
- Brigadier General : 02-03-2017
Medals - Moderations
- Commander of the Order of Honor
- Commander of the Order of the Phoenix
- Medal of Military Merit 2ndClass
- Air Force Meritorious Command Medal 2ndClass
- Staff Officer Service Commendation Medal 2ndClass