Nassos Vafeidis currently holds the position of Professor in Coastal Systems and Hazards at the Institute of Geography, Christian-Albrechts University Kiel. He has a background in Surveying Engineering and received his MEng at the National Technical University of Athens. He went on to complete an MSc in Physical Geography at the University of London (King's College) where he specialised in Geographic Information Systems and remote sensing. After a one-year break working as a consultant in the industy, he returned to King’s College where he obtained his PhD degree in Physical Geography. He then worked at the Flood Hazard Research Centre (Middlesex University, UK) as a Senior Research Fellow and was visiting researcher at the University of the Aegean (Greece) and at the University of Southampton (UK). He
has participated as a principal investigator in a number of international collaborative research projects and has co-authored over 60 peer-reviewed articles, book chapters and scientific reports. He has also contributed to the Stern Review on the Economics of Climate Change and to the Fifth Assessment Report AR5) of the IPCC WGII.
Academic Education & Scientific Degrees
- 2001 PhD in Physical Geography, King’s College London
- 1994 MSc in Physical Geography, King’s College London
- 1993 Diploma in Rural and Surveying Engineering, National Technical University Athens
- 2011 – date W2 Professor in Coastal Systems and Hazards, Institute of Geography, CAU Kiel
- 2008 - 2011 W1 Professor in Coastal Risks and Sea-Level Rise, CAU Kiel
- 2004 – 2008 Visiting Research Fellow, University of Southampton (UK) & Senior Research Fellow, University of the Aegean (GR) &
- 2001 – 2004 Research Fellow, Flood Hazard Research Centre, Middlesex University (UK)
Honours, awards, community services, etc.
- Contributing Author: IPCC WGII AR5 - Chapter 5: Coastal Systems and Low-Lying Areas
- Contributing Author: Stern Review on the Economics of Climate Change
- British Chevening Fellowship, Awarded by the British Council of the UK Foreign Office
Selected Recent Publications
- Vafeidis, A. T., Schuerch, M., Wolff, C., Spencer, T., Merkens, J. L., Hinkel, J., ... & Nicholls, R. J. (2019). Water-level attenuation in global-scale assessments of exposure to coastal flooding: a sensitivity analysis. Natural Hazards and Earth System Sciences, 19(5), 973-984.
- Schuerch, M., T. Spencer, S. Temmerman, M. L. Kirwan, C. Wolff, D. Lincke, C. J. McOwen, M. D. Pickering, R. Reef, A. T. Vafeidis, J. Hinkel, R. J. Nicholls and S. Brown (2018). "Future response of global coastal wetlands to sea-level rise." Nature 561(7722): 231-234.
- Reimann, L., Vafeidis, A. T., Brown, S., Hinkel, J., & Tol, R. S. (2018). Mediterranean UNESCO World Heritage at risk from coastal flooding and erosion due to sea-level rise. Nature communications, 9(1), 4161.
- Santamaria‐Aguilar, S., Arns, A., & Vafeidis, A. T. (2017). Sea‐level rise impacts on the temporal and spatial variability of extreme water levels: A case study for St. Peter‐Ording, Germany. Journal of Geophysical Research: Oceans, 122(4), 2742-2759.
- Merkens, J. L., Reimann, L., Hinkel, J., & Vafeidis, A. T. (2016). Gridded population projections for the coastal zone under the Shared Socioeconomic Pathways. Global and Planetary Change, 145, 57-66.
- Spencer, T., Schuerch, M., Nicholls, R.J., Hinkel, J., Lincke, D., Vafeidis, A.T., Reef, R., McFadden, L. and Brown, S. (2016). Global coastal wetland change under sea-level rise and related stresses: The DIVA Wetland Change Model. Global and Planetary Change, 139, pp.15-30.
- Wolff, C., Vafeidis, A.T., Lincke, D., Marasmi, C. and Hinkel, J. (2016). Effects of scale and input data on assessing the future impacts of coastal flooding: an application of DIVA for the Emilia-Romagna coast. Frontiers in Marine Science, 3, p.41.
- Neumann, B., Vafeidis, A. T., Zimmermann, J., & Nicholls, R. J. (2015). Future Coastal Population Growth and Exposure to Sea-Level Rise and Coastal Flooding-A Global Assessment. PloS one, 10(3), e0118571.
- Brown, S., Nicholls, R. J., Hanson, S., Brundrit, G., Dearing, J. A., Dickson, M. E., Gallop S.L. Gao S., Haigh I.D., Hinkel, J., Jiménez, A.J., Klein R.J.T., Kron W., Lázár, A.N., Neves C.F., Newton A., Pattiaratachi C., Payo A., Sánchez-Arcilla, A., Siddall M., Shareef A., Tompkins E.L., Vafeidis A.T., van Maanen B., Ward. P. & Woodroffe, C. D. (2014). Shifting perspectives on coastal impacts and adaptation. Nature Climate Change, 4(9), 752-755.
- Hinkel, J., D. Lincke, A. T. Vafeidis, M. Perrette, R. J. Nicholls, R. S. J. Tol, B. Marzeion, X. Fettweis, C. Ionescu, and A. Levermann (2014). Coastal flood damage and adaptation costs under 21st century sea-level rise. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 111(9), 3292-3297.