Professor Dimitrios Pandermalis is Professor Emeritus of Classical Archaeology at the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki. He has served as President of the History and Archaeology Department and Dean of the School of Philosophy and Education of the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki and has presented lectures and presentations in classical archaeology internationally. Since 1973 he has been Director of the University's Archaeological Excavations at Dion and conducted extensive programs converting the excavated area into an expansive archaeological and environmental park. From September 1996 to March 2000 he served as Member of the Greek Parliament. From May 2000 he is the President of the Organization for the Construction of the New Acropolis Museum and since May 2009 President of the Acropolis Museum.
He has over 60 publications in Classical Archaeology. Among them:
- Untersuchungen zu den klassischen Strategenköpfen, Freiburg i. Br. 1969
- Zum Programm der Statuenausstattung in der Villa dei Papiri AM 86, 1971, 173 ff
- Discovering Dion, Athens 2000
He is an ordinary member of the Archaeological Society at Athens and of the German Archaeological Institute in Berlin.
He has achieved the following Distinctions:
- Grand Commander of the Order of Phoenix of the Hellenic Republic
- Commander First Class of the Order of the Lion of Finland,
- Ordine della Stella d'Italia
- Verdienstkreuz 1. Klasse des Verdienstordens der Bundesrepublik Deutschland.